Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mom had another oncology appointment today. Her lungs look about the same....but no worse, which is something to be thankful for. According to the oncologist, they actually "sound" better than they look on the x-ray. The chemo Mom is on will continue for as long as it works for her - there is no end date set for treatment. Her energy level is holding, and though she tires easily, she is able to enjoy getting out for a quick visit every once in a while.

Pain in her feet has been the biggest issue Mom is dealing with lately. She has a hard time walking, so this slows her down alot. Thankfully, this is being dealt with - her chemo level is being adjusted (which is very common) and this should get better. I was instructed to go to a animal/veterinary supply store to get "bag balm" to rub on her feet and massaged it on her feet, as Dad has a hard time getting enthusiastic to do that...haha. I think that Mom's oncologist finds us quite a jocular bunch, as she commented on Mom's "entourage" at each visit. It is such a blessing to find humour, even in these difficult situations - we may be an emotional bunch at times, but we still know how to laugh!

Dad still makes Mom healthy drinks every day, makes sure she has something she likes to eat, and takes very good care of her. He is doing fairly well right now also, and we are all enjoying this "holding pattern" Mom is in. Thanks for your continued prayers, pop-in visits, cards and love....how great is our God!

5 comments:

  1. Our prayers continue to be with you all. May our heavenly Father continue to hold each of you during this time.
    Love, Ed & Elaine & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. "we may be an emotional bunch at times, but we still know how to laugh!"

    From my experience with the Aikema family, you laugh till you cry and you cry till you laugh. :)

    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see you guys at the doctor's office...your post made me smile! So true how humor can be a blessing. I think that's the de Haan in us! We are thankful with you for the 'holding pattern', we pray for this to continue.
    Ian & Ang & girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to hear that things have stabilized with Helen. Rita and I wish you strength as you deal with the side-affects of the chemo. They can be difficult at times, but these days it seems that the medical profession has many tools to help. Of course, above all we may depend on our greatest Helper of all. See my blog for more good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping you all in our prayers. Praise God for the encouragement and love of family. Hugs Ed & Diane

    Isaiah 41:10 Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.